Horizon Therapeutics plc Announces Wanda Durant Has Joined Olympian Gail Devers to Raise Awareness of Thyroid Eye Disease Among Graves' Disease Community
-- All-Star Ambassador Team Welcomes Mother of NBA Star
In her second year partnering with Horizon, three-time Olympic gold medalist,
"In all my time living with Graves' disease, I never knew that I was at risk of TED until hearing Gail's story," said Durant. "Together, we are on a mission to make sure everyone living with Graves' disease knows the symptoms of TED so they can keep a close watch on their eyes and seek the right care if needed."
Approximately 50 percent of people living with Graves' disease may develop TED, which causes symptoms such as eye bulging, double vision and debilitating pain behind the eyes.2,3 Although TED is related to Graves' disease, it requires specialized treatment from a TED Eye Specialist, such as an oculoplastic surgeon or neuro-ophthalmologist. Recognizing the signs and symptoms of TED early is important, as it can help decrease the chances of serious damage to vision and appearance of the eyes.4
"I am thrilled and honored to have
As part of Graves' Disease Awareness Month, Horizon is also activating:
- New Listen to Your Eyes podcast episodes - featuring Durant, Devers and others living with TED, their caregivers and TED experts
- Educational videos - raising awareness of the signs, symptoms and risks associated with TED, as well as the need to seek care from a TED eye specialist and the physical and emotional impact of this condition on daily life
- An Eyes on TED social campaign - encourage viewing and sharing of an informational video about the link between Graves' disease and TED. Video includes commentary from
Gail Deversand a TED Eye Specialist
- The Race to Diagnosis online campaign - challenging people to "be faster than Gail" as they learn about Graves' disease and TED, associated risk factors, TED symptoms, and how to find a TED eye specialist. In recognition of Gail winning her first Olympic gold medal in 10.94 seconds, "Race to Diagnosis" challenges people to "beat Gail's time" by seeking a TED diagnosis within 10 weeks
- The "Dear TED" letter writing campaign, which invites people living with or caring for someone with TED to write directly to TED about the impact it has had on their lives and how they are taking back control of their health. Letters can be submitted at www.DearTEDLetters.com
About Graves' Disease
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that causes the thyroid gland to produce excess thyroid hormones.3 These hormones control a variety of bodily functions, from metabolism and breathing, to heart rate, body temperature and cognitive emotions.5 Common symptoms of Graves' disease include anxiety, tremors, heat sensitivity, weight loss, hair loss, change in menstrual cycle and irregular heartbeat, many of which are present in other diseases, leading to misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis.6
About Thyroid Eye Disease (TED)
TED is a serious, progressive and potentially vision-threatening rare autoimmune disease.1 TED causes the muscle and fat tissue behind one or both eyes to become inflamed or swollen. While TED often occurs in people living with hyperthyroidism or Graves' disease (up to 50% of people living with Graves' disease - the most common form of hyperthyroidism - may develop TED), it is a distinct disease that is caused by autoantibodies activating an IGF-1R-mediated signaling complex on cells within the retro-orbital space. 2,3,7,8,9 This leads to a cascade of negative effects, which may cause long-term damage to the eyes. Resulting symptoms include debilitating pain, dry, gritty, watery, or teary eyes, and light sensitivity, among others. 2,3 As TED progresses, the serious damage it can cause includes proptosis (eye bulging), strabismus (misalignment of the eyes) and diplopia (double vision) - and in some cases, can lead to blindness.10,11 Additional information on TED can be found at ThyroidEyes.com.
Horizon is a global biotechnology company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of medicines that address critical needs for people impacted by rare, autoimmune and severe inflammatory diseases. Our pipeline is purposeful: We apply scientific expertise and courage to bring clinically meaningful therapies to patients. We believe science and compassion must work together to transform lives. For more information on how we go to incredible lengths to impact lives, visit www.horizontherapeutics.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Facebook.
- Barrio-Barrio, J, Sabater AL, Bonet-Farriol E, Velazquez-Villoria A, Galofre JC. Graves' Ophthalmopathy:
VISAversus EUGOGO Classification, Assessment, and Management. Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015:2015:249125.
- Lazarus JH. Epidemiology of Graves' orbitopathy (GO) and relationship with thyroid disease. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;26(3):273-279.
- Smith TJ, Heged?s L. Graves' disease. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(16):1552-1565.
- Bothun ED, Scheurer RA,
Harrison AR, Lee MS.Update on thyroid eye disease and management. Clin Ophthalmol. 2009;3:543-51.
- Barrio-Barrio J, Sabater AL, Bonet-Farriol E, Velazquez-Villoria A, Galofre JC. Graves' Ophthalmopathy:
VISAversus EUGOGO Classification, Assessment, and Management. Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015:1-16.
- About Graves' Disease. Graves'
Disease & Thyroid Foundation. https://www.gdatf.org/about/about-graves-disease/. Accessed June 17, 2020.
- Eckstein AK, Losch C, Glowacka D, et al. Euthyroid and primarily hypothyroid patients develop milder and significantly more asymmetrical Graves' ophthalmopathy. Br
J Ophthalmol. 2009;93(8):1052-1056.
- Weightman DR, et al. Autoantibodies to IGF-1 Binding Sites in Thyroid Associated Ophthalmopathy. Autoimmunity. 1993;16(4):251-257.
- Pritchard J, et al. Immunoglobulin Activation of T Cell Chemoattractant Expression in Fibroblasts from Patients with Graves' Disease Is Mediated Through the Insulin-Like Growth Factor 1 Receptor Pathway. J Immunol. 2003;170:6348-6354.
- Bartalena L, et al. The 2016
European Thyroid Association/European Group on Graves' Orbitopathy Guidelines for the Management of Graves' Orbitopathy. Eur Thyroid J. 2016;5(1):9-26.
- McKeag D, et al. Clinical Features of Dysthyroid Optic Neuropathy: a
European Group on Graves' Orbitopathy(EUGOGO) survey. Br J Ophthalmol. 2007;91:455-458.