Apple Introduces Next-Generation iPad Pro, Supercharged by the M2 Chip
The new iPad Pro features a next-level
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221018005815/en/
With breakthrough performance of the M2 chip, a next-level
“The next-generation iPad Pro pushes the boundaries of what’s possible on iPad, bringing even more versatility, power, and portability to the ultimate iPad experience,” said
Breakthrough Performance from the M2 Chip
M2, the start of Apple’s next generation of M-series chips, brings even more breakthrough performance and capabilities to iPad Pro, with industry-leading power efficiency, a unified memory architecture, and custom technologies.
M2 features an 8-core CPU — up to 15 percent faster than M1 — with advancements in both performance and efficiency cores, and a 10-core GPU, delivering up to 35 percent faster graphics performance for the most demanding users. Combined with the CPU and GPU, the 16-core Neural Engine can process 15.8 trillion operations per second — 40 percent more than M1 — making iPad Pro even more powerful when handling machine learning tasks. The M2 chip also features 100GB/s of unified memory bandwidth — 50 percent more than M1 — and supports up to 16GB of fast unified memory, making multitasking and working with large assets even more fluid.2
The performance of M2 turbocharges even the most demanding workflows, from photographers editing massive photo libraries and designers manipulating complex 3D objects, to healthcare professionals taking advanced imaging and analysis, to gamers enjoying graphics-intensive games. The power of M2 also extends to the new media engine and the image signal processor, which combined with the advanced cameras, enable users to capture ProRes™ video for the first time and transcode ProRes footage up to 3x faster. This means content creators can capture, edit, and publish cinema-grade video from a single device out in the field.
Powered by the new iPad Pro and iPadOS 16, hover with
Superfast Wireless Connectivity
The new iPad Pro supports the latest Wi-Fi connections with support for Wi-Fi 6E,3 so users who need fast connections can take their demanding workflows with them everywhere. Downloads are up to 2.4 Gb/s, 2x faster than the previous generation. Wi-Fi + Cellular models with 5G (sub-6GHz and mmWave4) now support more 5G networks around the world, so users can access their files, communicate with colleagues, and back up their data in a snap while on the go.5
Unmatched Pro Features Enabled by iPadOS 16
In addition to big updates to Messages, new tools in Mail and Safari®, the new Weather app, and more ways to interact with photos and video with Live Text™ and Visual Look Up, iPadOS 16 also introduces powerful productivity features that elevate the iPad Pro experience:
- Stage Manager is an entirely new multitasking experience that automatically organizes apps and windows, making it quick and easy to switch between tasks. Later this year, Stage Manager will unlock full external display support with resolutions of up to 6K, so users will be able to arrange the ideal workspace, and work with up to four apps on iPad and up to four apps on the external display.
- Desktop-class apps enable new capabilities optimized for the display on iPad Pro — making apps more capable with new elements and interactions, including a consistent undo and redo, a redesigned inline find-and-replace experience, a new document menu, customizable toolbars, and the ability to change file extensions, view folder size in Files, and more.
- Reference Mode enables the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Liquid Retina® XDR display to match the color requirements in workflows like review and approve, color grading, and compositing, where accurate colors and consistent image quality are critical. That means pro users, including photographers and videographers, can edit HDR images and videos with every true-to-life detail right in their hands, and cinematographers on set can preview content in a color profile that represents the final capture.
iPad and the Environment
The new iPad models are designed to minimize their impact on the environment and include 100 percent recycled gold — a first for iPad — in the plating of multiple printed circuit boards, as well as recycled aluminum, tin, and rare earth elements. All iPad models meet Apple’s high standards for energy efficiency and are mercury-, BFR-, PVC-, and beryllium-free. Redesigned packaging in the new iPad Pro eliminates the outer plastic wrap, and 99 percent of the packaging is fiber based, bringing
Pricing and Availability
- The new iPad Pro is available to order beginning today,
October 18, at apple.com/store and in the AppleStore® app in 28 countries and regions, including the US, with availability in stores beginning Wednesday, October 26.
- The new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be available in silver and space gray finishes with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB configurations.
- The 11-inch iPad Pro starts at
$799(US) for the Wi-Fi model and $999(US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model; the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099(US) for the Wi-Fi model, and $1,299(US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model. ApplePencil (2nd generation), available for purchase separately, is compatible with the new iPad Pro for $129(US).
- Magic Keyboard® is available in black and white for
$299(US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $349(US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with layouts for over 30 languages.
- The Smart Keyboard Folio™ is available for
$179(US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $199(US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- The Smart Folio is available in black, white, and marine blue for
$79(US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $99(US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- Education pricing is available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and home-school teachers of all grade levels. The new 11-inch iPad Pro starts at
$749(US), and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $999(US). The second-generation ApplePencil is available for $119(US), and the Smart Keyboard Folio is available for $159(US) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $179(US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The Magic Keyboard will be available at $279(US) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $329(US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. For more information visit apple.com/us-hed/shop.
- iPadOS 16, the powerful operating system designed specifically for iPad, will be available beginning
Monday, October 24, and ships for free with the new iPad Pro. iPadOS 16 will be available as a free software update for iPad (5th generation and later), iPad mini® (5th generation and later), iPad Air® (3rd generation and later), and all iPad Pro models.
- Customers can trade in their current iPad and get credit toward a new one. When their device has been received and verified,
Applewill credit the value to their payment method.
- Engrave iPad with a meaningful mix of emoji, names, initials, and numbers, all for free, available only at apple.com/store or in the
Apple Storeapp. Appleprovides customers with a number of services in-store and online. From personalized support and advice from Apple Specialiststo convenient delivery and pickup options, Appleensures the best way to buy Appleproducts is from Apple Storelocations and apple.com/store.
1. Full external display support for Stage Manager on M1 and M2 iPad models will be available in a software update later this year.
2. Performance is compared with previous-generation iPad Pro.
3. Wi‑Fi 6E is not available in
4. mmWave is only available in the US and
5. 5G wireless plan and coverage required. Speeds will vary. Check with carriers for details.
NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit